as the snake waits in the wings



St Exupery's beautiful fable has never ceased to fascinate me.

I got my first copy of the little prince as a young teenager in Algiers, a city so close to the sahara desert where he made his landfall. I would have never guessed that this beautiful tale would weave itself into the very fabric of my life...

It has provided me anwers where all else failed, given me direction when all seemed dark...

utpal

When I first heard Utpal laugh, months after his terrible ordeal with fire I heard myself murmur:
"little man, I want to hear you laugh again.."
At that moment I had not understood how deep that intuitive comparaison would turn out to be...
Many of you know that as I write these words, we wait for the verdict of the men in white, the words that will reveal the coordinates of his tryst with the snake..
As I wait, many of the questions that I asked myself over the years spent discovering the unfathomable mysteries of this tiny fable suddenly assume a new clarity:
Did the little prince appear to elucidate the true meaning of love, friendship, and other human feelings, or simply to tell the aviator that he would find the well and hence live!
Or was the little prince urging the aviator to start looking with his heart as he would not live long (st exupery passed away one year after writing the little prince)
Does the true meaning of the gift of the fox stop at explaining love as we see it, or does it ask us to take that extra step and understand that love has to be selfless to the point of letting go of the other, even it it means accepting the coming of the snake...

wall

Many times, I have seen a seriousness bordering mysticism in little utpal. His reactions to ordinary occurences often have a profound meaning. He has provided answers to puzzling dilemnas. His ability to walk into people's heart in no time is almost frightening, making one worry why he is in such a hurry...

What is Utpal trying to tell me.. that sometimes one has to take decisions that are not the obvious ones. That we humans cannot play god and that the inevitable has to happen. That sometimes people meet for a short time but one that is rich in rewards for both...
and the ultimate lesson that love means to accept the snake at the appropriate time as maybe that is the best one...

I urge all of you that have met him and those that have come to know him through my words to help me take the steps that the little prince expects me to...

so help me god!

i urge those of you who have not read the little prince to do so. but beware just like utpal, he walks into your heart!