no bananas for my mommy...

DSCN5343



I lived a rare moment today.. one that I cannot truly describe as it was a kaleidoscope of emotions and feelings..

A late call yesterday night asked me to come and meet utpal's mom who was in hospital with multiple problems.. they also asked me to bring utpal along.. So this morning, he wore his favourite T-shirt and we made the long journey to the hospital.. On the way he spoke a little, asking time and again whether we were bringing her home.. I told him that it would not be this time as she was ill..

As we entered the hospital ward, he clung to me and when he lay eyes on his mom he just looked away.. In spite of her efforts he did not go into her arms but talked a lot and then took the camera and starting taking a lot of pictures.. for a 4 year old the result was quite stunning..he even turned the lens and took one of himself! I

Then he set off with the radhey his friend and our driver, to get bananas and curds for his mom.. While he was away the counsellor came and told me about the fact that utpal's mom was being difficult and needed to be talked to as her health was poor and that she had to make efforts and get rid of her tantrums.. that is when utpal came back and he must have heard some of the conversation, or at least sensed the mood..

He said nothing and sat on a chair waiting for us to finish... When it was time to leave he just picked up the bag of bananas saying that he was taking them back and after a quick forced hug he just walked away...

We dropped by the rehab centre where I had a few matters to settle, and utpal bonded with all the young counsellors happily sharing his precious bananas and walking quietly into many more hearts..

On the drive back he fell asleep, his little head on my lap and I sat wondering, trying to make sense of what had happened. Perhaps it was simply his way of telling his mom that he had kept his part of the deal while she had let him down..

Utpal's mom has always been a difficult woman with too much attitude.. I just hope she is able to understand what her son tried to tell her as best he could!

Labels: