Here are some statistics that should shock us and makes us act. Sadly they don't but I will still share them with you:
- 11 million children are homeless in India, 100 000 children in Delhi alone in spite of 70 shelters
- 3 out of 4 street children between the age 5- 12 are physical abused
- 300 000 to 500 000 children are forced into prostitution every year
- There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.
They form 40% of the total population of commercial sex workers in India.
80% of these are found in the 5 metros.
71% of them are illiterate.
- 95 in every 1000 children born in India, do not see their fifth birthday.
70 in every 1000 children born in India, do not see their first birthday.
- More that 50% of India's children are malnourished.
- 44 000 children go missing every year.
A recent programme
aired on a national TV channel revealed the truth about how India treated their children. Scary! It is time we did something about it. Before it is too late to even hang our heads in shame.